About Me

!nversed Poignancy!

...I am an eclectic amalgamation of many seemingly paradoxical things. This can be exemplified in both my seemingly endless persistance on many topics and arguments, as well as my careful cautiousness on other topics and arguments. This is largely due to how astute I am of the topic: more knowledge, more persistant; less knowledge, obviously more cautious. I also have times of obsessive compulsions regarding certain things (mostly just my thoughts, however)...

Life and Death

!nversed Poignancy!

Life

An assembly

Possibly impossible

Perfectly interchangeable..

Death

That lives most upright

Beyond the unspoken

Neither a squiggle nor a quibble..

She and Me

!nversed Poignancy!

She

A daffodil

Tyrannizer of me

Breaking the colors of dusk!..

Me

The rising sun

Infringed with violations

The impurity in the salt..

Love and Poetry!

!nversed Poignancy!

Love

A puerile desire

Buried in the heart

Never leaves..

Poetry

Sentimentally melodramatic

Cursively recursive

My thoughts idiotic!

I,Me, Myself..?

Scribbled by Bharath On March 06, 2006

Ahhhh, reflexive pronouns! I was unfortunate to be away from school for quite some time when I was about 10 years old due to a burst appendix, and I missed all these fabulous parts of speech.

I admit that some of them are still tricky for me to get my mind around, because I missed those months of drilling by my teacher with a ruler in her hand. Yes, that's what they used to help us *learn* better! Thank heavens those times have changed ... let's see what we can learn from this lesson in grammar and parts of speech.

Two people wrote in about Reflexive Pronouns :

I myself, You yourself etc

Thank you to Karen Z of Mississauga, Canada [Aug 2001]
and Connie Kozlowski [July 1999]

So many people and newspapers say :

"John, Sue and myself went to the store."


Ouch! This sounds as if someone is trying to be polite and they are not sure about whether to use *I* or *me* ... perhaps with some misguided sense of false modesty.

My suggestion is always this: think how you would say the sentence if you removed the other people from it. For example, would you say the sentence above as:

"Myself went to the store."
I *hope* you wouldn't!
Would you say, "Me went to the store."
No, of course not.
You'd say, "I went to the store."

So it should be, "John, Sue and I went to the store." This is the correct way to say this statement.

Let's look at this sentence again:

"John, Sue and I went to the store."

To make sure it is correct, let's remove John and Sue: and add the word myself [reflexive pronoun]:

"I went to the store myself."

Correct! That's the way it should look AND sound! So now you can remove the word 'myself'.

TIP!


There has to be a noun or pronoun in the subject (in this case "I") before you can refer back to it with a reflexive pronoun, such as :
myself, himself, herself, themselves.

I can hear you thinking, "D'oh? What does *that* mean?".

t means, dear friend, that if you are going to use one of these:

myself, himself, herself, themselves

then you MUST use one of these as well, to match it!

I myself, he himself, she herself, they themselves!!

0 Thoughts have been Sprinkled!, Your Take? :

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share